Thursday 10 October 2013

Yuvraj Singh says India A was the perfect platform for comeback

Rajkot:  As he led India to an emphatic six-wicket win over Australia while chasing a 200-plus score against Australia, Yuvraj Singh said playing for India's A side helped him prepare well for the series.

Yuvraj Singh played extremely well against the West Indies and with a string of good performances, he forced his way into the national side after a gap of eight months.

The left-handed flamboyant batsman played a stunning 77-run knock in India's win today.

"I shed a few kilos and worked really hard in the off season. I came with a fresher mind. I need some really good games to come back to action, A games was pretty good platform for me," Yuvraj said after getting Man-of-the-match award.

"I'm very confident when Mahi is around, he is one guy who goes after the bowling. I just thought I would try and take the game to the end. It is always a pleasure and honour to be playing in the Indian jersey," he added.

Indian skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni lauded the way Yuvraj adjusted and performed at number five in the batting order since most of the times he has batted at number four.

"This is one of the best batting you can see in the shorter format. I think we have got quite a few big partnerships, I didn't get too many opportunities to bat with him over the past year. Thanks to Yuvi, who accepted the challenge of batting at No. 5, he completed his goal in the best possible manner. I think batsmen proved the point," he said.

"We did not get a good start, which I think was important. But Yuvi batted really well. We all knew Australia would bowl well with the new ball, but once the ball got wet it became tough for them," Dhoni added

Australia captain George Bailey they should have defended the big total even as the pitch favoured the batsmen.

"You probably would take that (total), we were one wicket further down than we wanted. You score 200, if you are going to chase it down, today is the day. Yuvraj batted superbly. I was really happy with the start, leaving Xavier a bit late, he only bowled three overs," Bailey, who is leading the side in the absence of injured Michael Clarke, said.

0 comments:

Post a Comment